- Start by preparing the coconut rice. Wash the rice and place in a large saucepan and add the salt, ginger, pandan leaves, coconut milk, and water. Cook all the ingredients in a rice cooker.
- When the rice is done, discard the garlic, ginger and pandan leaves, and then fluff up the rice. Divide into 2 equal portions. Add My Blue Tea Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Powder to one and mix well. Combine both rices together.
- For the sambal, blend the chilli paste, garlic, ginger, shallots, and ¼ cup water in a blender to a smooth paste.
- Heat the peanut oil in a wok or skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the sambal paste and stir fry for 10 mins, or until fragrant and the oil separates. Add the onion and cook for another 5 mins or until soft. Add the tamarind paste and remaining ½ cup water and mix well to combine with the paste.
- Taste the sambal and add more sugar or salt if needed. Remove from heat.
- To serve, line a plate with a banana leaf. Place about 1 cup of the cooked coconut rice in the middle of the leaf. Place about 3 tbsp of sambal, a few slices of cucumber, half a hard-boiled egg, 1 tbsp of peanuts and fried anchovies around the rice. Serve warm.