- Cut bitter melon in half lengthwise. Remove seeds including its fluffy white core using a spoon. Cut the halves into 0.5-1cm thick pieces width-wise.
- Place bitter melon in a bowl, add 1 tsp salt and toss (do not rub) to cover bitter melon pieces with salt. Leave for 10 mins, then rinse and drain well. This is to remove its bitterness.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan or wok over high heat. Add tofu and cook both sides until lightly browned, about 2-3 mins. Remove from fry pan/wok.
- Add sesame oil to the frying pan/wok over high heat. Add pork and cook for about 2 mins until slices are almost cooked through.
- Add bitter melon to the frying pan/wok and stir gently without breaking the bitter melon slices. Cook for about 1 min until surface of the bitter melon starts getting cooked. If you like the bitter melon have a softer texture, you can cook until you get the texture preferred.
- Return the tofu to the frying pan/wok. Add the seasoning ingredients and mix so that the flavour coats the tofu evenly.
- Add the egg and leave for 15 secs without mixing. With a firm grip on the frying pan/wok, toss the ingredients and mix the egg with the other ingredients.
- Turn the heat down to low. Add bonito flakes and gently mix, then turn off the heat. Serve immediately.