To Make Big Plate Chicken (Da Pan Ji)
- Place chicken cubes in a medium bowl and marinate with light soy sauce, sesame oil, Shaoxing wine and corn flour for 20 mins.
- Heat up wok with cooking oil on low heat and cook star anise, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, garlic, Sichuan peppercorns, chillies and sugar for about 2 mins. Be careful to not burn the mixture.
- Add in marinated chicken cubes and turn up the heat. Let them sear for a min before moving them around.
- Toss in the carrots and potatoes and stir for a min. Add in the sauces and water.
- If more sauce is preferred, add more water. Cover and let it simmer for 15 mins on medium heat until potatoes are tender.
- While chicken is simmering, heat up a pot of water and cook flat noodles following the instructions on packaging. Once noodles are cooked, drop them into cold water for 30 secs and drain. Arrange on serving plate.
- Once potatoes are soft, toss in capsicums and cook covered for 3 mins.
- Season with salt to taste. Toss in spring onions and stir for 10 secs. Pour chicken over noodles and serve hot.