- Rinse the cabbage under running water. Chop off the cabbage stem. Shred the cabbage.
- Rinse the garlic and bird’s eye chilli finely, then mince them. Reserve.
- Peel off shrimp shells. Chop off the shrimps’ head. The shrimps must have only the tail and flesh left. Use a knife to slit the shrimp flesh until the cut is deep enough to make the shrimps flat. Wash the shrimps under running cold water twice. Reserve.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix chopped garlic and bird’s eye chilli with the fish sauce.
- Add sugar and lime juice. Mix well until sugar is properly dissolved.
- Place shredded cabbage in the centre of the serving plate and bitter melons around the cabbage.
- Place the shrimps on top of the cabbage. Pour the sauce over the shrimp.
- Garnish the dish with spearmint. Serve.