- Bring a pot of water to the boil.
- Quarter the onions lengthwise and remove the skin. Heat a separate pot over medium-high heat. With no oil, cook the onion and ginger slices until slightly charred on both sides.
- Pour in the chicken stock, add in the cinnamon and star anise, bring to the boil, then lower heat and simmer for 20-25 mins. Season with fish sauce and sugar.
- In the pot of boiling water, add the chicken breast. Poach over medium-low heat for 10-15 mins or until cooked. Remove from water and allow to cool slightly before shredding the meat.
- Carefully peel cold noodles apart before placing them in the serving bowls. Microwave for 30 secs.
- To serve, ladle soup over noodles through a sieve. Top with shredded chicken, coriander leaves, Thai basil leaves, sliced chilli and bean sprouts.