Vietnamese Beef Noodle Salad (Bun Bo Xao) is a refreshingly light but flavoursome meal. Make this stir-fried beef and vermicelli salad at home. Recipe by Asian Inspirations.
500g rump steak (finely sliced against the grain)
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp garlic (minced)
1 tbsp lemongrass (minced)
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 tsp chicken stock
3 tbsp vegetable oil
500g dried rice vermicelli
½ cup do chua (Vietnamese pickled daikon and carrots)
4 tbsp crispy fried shallots
4 tbsp roasted peanuts (crushed)
Fresh green mix: lettuce, mint, perilla, cilantro (washed and roughly chopped)
200g bean sprouts
1 cucumber (seeds removed, and julienned)
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp fish sauce
10 tbsp water
1 tsp garlic (minced)
1 tsp chilli (minced)
1 tbsp lime juice
1. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, fish sauce and water and mix well.
2. Then, add the lime juice, garlic and chilli. Mix and set aside for later.
3. Combine the sliced beef, oyster sauce, ½ tbsp minced garlic, lemongrass, salt, pepper, chicken stock and 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a mixing bowl. Mix well, making sure that the beef in evenly coated in the marinade. Let the beef marinade for 20 mins.
4. Heat up a wok and add the remainder of the vegetable oil. When the oil has heated up, sauté the rest of the garlic until fragrant.
5. Next add the beef to the wok and fry until the beef is no longer pink.
6. Cook the rice vermicelli according to packet instructions. Drain the noodles when they are done and portion into individual bowls.
7. Add the mixed greens and cucumber on top the vermicelli and top with the stir fried beef. Garnish with the do chua, fried shallots, and crushed peanuts.
8. Use the dipping fish sauce as a salad dressing. Mix the salad with the dressing and serve.
Find your nearest Asian Store