To Prep the Shortcrust Pastry
- Add the flour, butter and salt to a food processor. Pulse until cubes of butter are the size of peas.
- Add 1 tbsp of water and pulse 3-4 times. Add more water 1 tsp at a time until mixture becomes the texture of wet sand.
- Tip the mixture out onto a large piece of cling wrap, and press together into a round disc. Cover with the cling wrap and place in the fridge for 20 mins.
To Bake the Tart Shells
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper. Roll the dough about 5mm thick.
- Using 8cm mini tart tins, use a knife to cut around the rim of the tins leaving about 2cm of extra pastry around.
- Carefully lift the pastry disc and place in the tart tin, pressing the dough into the tin. Trim any excess dough. Prick the base with a fork.
- Repeat with remaining dough, then place tart shells in the fridge for 30 mins. You can roll out the leftover dough 1 more time.
- Cut out squares of baking paper slightly larger than the tart tins. Crumple them up, then line the pastry shells. Fill with baking beans or rice and blind bake for 10 mins.
- Remove the baking paper and baking beans/rice, then bake for another 5-10 mins, or until lightly golden in colour.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool completely before carefully removing from tart tins.
To Make the Yuzushu Curd
- In a heatproof bowl, whisk together the caster sugar, eggs and egg yolks until smooth and fluffy.
- In a jug, combine the yuzu and yuzushu.
- Place the egg mixture bowl over a smaller saucepan filled with simmering water almost reaching the bottom of the bowl.
- Whisk egg mixture for 2 mins until slightly thickened, then pour in half of the yuzu mixture. Whisk slowly for 5-10 mins or until mixture thickens, then pour in the remaining yuzu mixture. Continue whisking slowly for 10-15 mins or until thick and glossy.
- Remove from heat, then add in butter one cube at a time, whisking until butter is melted and fully incorporated.
- Strain through a sieve into a jug and allow to cool slightly.
To Make the Tarts
- Pour curd into tart shells and chill for at least 1 hr, or until curd has completely set.
- To serve, dust with icing sugar.