- Place all ingredients into a mixing bowl and knead for 15-20 mins until you get smooth dough by using a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment.
- Rest the dough at room temperature for an hour.
- Transfer the dough to a basin and cover the dough with water.
- “Wash” the dough as though hand washing clothes. Tip out the water when the water gets too cloudy and fill with fresh water.
- “Wash” the dough until the water remains clear.
- After tipping out the water, what remains is the wheat gluten.
- Cut the wheat gluten into 3 equal portions and stretch into equally long pieces.
- Plait the gluten and seal the ends to help the meat gluten mimic the shape of lean meat.
- Boil gluten in a pot for approximately 30mins or until it floats to the surface.
- Let the cooked gluten cool to room temperature and undo the plait.
- In a bowl, combine all the marinated ingredients and mix well. Next, add the wheat gluten to the bowl and coat thoroughly. Allow it to be marinated for at least 3-4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Then, heat up the oil in a wok or port to deep fry.
- Deep fry the gluten for about 10 mins. Remove the gluten from the oil and drain any excess oil.
- Add a little oil to a frying pan, and then add the marinade. Sauté until the sauce thickens.
- Slice the vegetarian char siew and drizzle the sauce over. Serve.