- To make the cured egg yolks, combine soy sauce and mirin in a bowl. Reserve 3 tbsp of the mixture. Gently add the egg yolks and cover. Place in the fridge for 4 hrs.
- Cook rice according to packet directions until tender.
- For pickled cabbage, combine rice wine vinegar, sesame oil and sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle over the cabbage and toss until all cabbage is coated. Place in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, in a medium frying pan, heat a dash of oil over medium to high heat. Cook mushrooms for 2-3 mins. Add carrots and cook, stirring for 2 mins. Add the reserved soy sauce mixture. Simmer for 1-2 mins until vegetables are tender.
- Divide the cooked rice between 4 bowls. Add the pickled cabbage, carrots, mushrooms and avocado.
- Use a spoon to remove the cured egg yolks from the curing mixture and gently place in the middle of each bowl.
- Garnish with spring onion and sprinkle with black sesame seeds. Serve immediately.