- Remove tofu from packaging. Line a plate with several layers of paper towels. Place tofu on the plate and top with a 2-3 more layers of paper towels. Place a heavy cutting board (or other objects) on top of the tofu and set aside for 15-20 mins to drain and release water.
- Slice tofu into 3cm cubes and pat dry with paper towel.
- Combine cornstarch, white pepper and salt in a ziploc bag, add the tofu cubes and shake to coat evenly.
- In a frying pan, heat about 3cm of oil over medium heat. When oil is hot, fry tofu pieces in small batches. Fry until all sides are crispy and pale gold. Repeat until all the tofu is used up.
- Plate up the tofu and garnish with sliced chillies, chopped spring onions and ground black pepper.