To Make Char Siew
- Blend the tofu and water together in a food processor.
- Once blended, place it into a mixing bowl and add in the vital wheat gluten flour, salt, baking powder, and soy sauce. Stir with a pair of chopsticks until the flour mixture clumps together.
- Next, knead the dough with your hand for 3 mins, then squeeze the gluten to release air bubbles and shape it into a rectangular shape. Let it rest for 45 mins in a covered container.
- In a saucepot, mix all the marinade ingredients together except garlic. Keep 2 tbsp of the mixture aside. Then, add in garlic and water to the saucepot and bring it to a boil.
- Slide the rested seitan into the marinade and reduce heat to low to simmer for 30 mins. Watch the fire and do not let it boil.
- Remove seitan from the marinade and let it cool down a little.
- Heat up a frying pan with some oil. In a bowl, mix all the glaze ingredients together, then brush the glaze over the seitan and slow fry for 4 mins on each side. Slice and enjoy!
- To have a more charred appearance, put in the broiler for 5-8 mins.