To Prepare Braised Pork
- Heat up a frying pan with 1 tsp oil and sear pork belly slices on medium heat until both sides turned brownish.
- In a medium pot, place all the braising ingredients and bring to boil over medium high heat.
- Place well seared pork belly into braising liquid, bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour over low heat.
To Prepare Gua Bao
- Place all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Pour in milk and use a spatula to mix until combined. Using your hands, knead the mixture until a dough is formed. Shape it into a ball and let it rest inside the mixing bowl, covered for 10 mins.
- After 10 mins, knead the dough again for another minute until it turns smooth. Cover and leave to rise for 1 hour until dough doubles in size.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, cut out 10 portions weighing 48g each.
- Work on the dough piece one at a time to form into a ball by pinching the bottom. Roll the dough ball on the table using your palm and shape into round ball. Set aside and cover with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying while working on the rest of the dish.
- Place dough ball with pinched side up, roll with rolling pin into an oval shape (5mm thick), then brush the surface with oil.
- Fold the oval into half and place onto cut baking paper. Leave to rise for another 30 mins.
- Steam the shaped bao on medium high heat for 10 mins. Turn off the fire but do not open up the lid and let bao rest for 5 min inside the steamer.
- Mix crushed peanuts with icing sugar.
- Place a slice of braised pork belly into bao, sprinkle with peanut mixture and garnish with coriander.