To Prepare Filling and Rice
- Roll red bean paste into balls and wrap with pork fat netting (netting will melt while cooking). Set aside.
- Heat frying pan with 2tbsp oil and sauté half the shallots till golden brown. Dish up and set aside.
- Add 3tbsp oil to the same pan and sauté the garlic and remaining shallot till fragrant.
- Toss in the dried shrimps and fry till fragrant and browning.
- Add in the pork belly and stir and toss in the shiitake mushrooms.
- Add in the seasonings and stir till well coated.
- Pour in the soaking water and let it simmer for about 5 mins. Dish up and set aside to cool.
- Drain glutinous rice and place into a large bowl. Add in seasonings and stir well.
To Assemble and Cook
- Take one or two of bamboo leaf (depending on size) and fold into a
- Place a tsp of rice, one red bean ball, fill 1 tbsp of rice, pushing them around the red bean ball. Place one piece of pork belly, a chestnut, a mushroom, some of the dried shrimp and some lotus seeds.cone.
- Fill more rice on top and flatten with a spoon.
- Fold the leaf over with your thumb and the other fingers pressing the sides down to cover the rice surface. Fold along the corner and press together and fold down to seal. Use a twine or saltwater grass going 2 rounds and tie the completed dumpling. Do not tie too tight as dough will expand during boiling.
- Heat a big stock pot with enough water and boil dumplings for 2-3 hours or if you use a pressure cooker, pressure cook for 1 hour.