- For the stock, combine the water and kombu in a pot to soak for 30 mins. Prepare all the ingredients.
- Prepare the shrimp for cooking by making small cuts in the prawn and straightening the prawn flesh.
- Add the flour, baking powder, ½ tsp salt and chilled water in a bowl and combine until the mixture is smooth.
- Cover the shrimp in batter and deep fry. When it is cooked, ensure that no excess oil is on the shrimp.
- Bring the 500ml water to a boil on medium heat.
- As the water approaches a boil, remove from heat and add the bonito flakes.
- Return to heat and simmer for 1-2 mins, ensuring it does not boil.
- Strain the stock into a pot and add the salt, soy sauce, mirin and sake. Once the soup has boiled for 1-2 mins, remove it from heat.
- Cook the soba noodles according to the packet instructions.
- Divide the prawns, soba noodles and soup between the two bowls and add spring onions for garnish.