- Place all pickled radish ingredients in a bowl and massage the salt, sugar, vinegar and chilli into the radishes. Leave in the fridge for 5-10 mins.
- Place tofu, miso paste, rice vinegar and rice malt syrup in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Set the blender on high speed and drizzle in the oil so it emulsifies. Store the mayo in the fridge.
- Mix sake, sugar, mirin, soy sauce, and water in a saucepan. Cook on medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 5 mins or until tender. Remove and pat dry with paper towel.
- Return half the liquid to the heat and reduce by half.
- Heat the oil in a large wok. Mix the corn flour, plain flour in a large bowl and soda water and mix quickly.
- Add mushrooms and turn them to coat. Lift one mushroom at a time to let the excess tempura batter drip off, then lower into the hot oil. repeat until all mushrooms are golden brown. Drain them on paper towel.
- Place the milk, flour, baking powder, yeast and sugar together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the oil and water together.
- Make a little well in the middle of the bowl with the dry ingredients and add the water oil mix.
- Stir with a spoon and use your hands to knead until the dough comes together.
- If the dough is too sticky add a little more flour and keep kneading. Knead for about 5-8 mins or until it is smooth. Cover and leave it in a warm place for 90 mins to rise (roughly double its size)
- Once the dough has risen place on a floured surface and knead for a further 5 mins to get the air out. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough about 1 cm thick.
- Grease the top with oil then use a glass or rough cutter that is roughly 8 cm in diameter. cut out 12 circles. Remove the excess dough.
- Fold the circles in half and slightly roll with a rolling pin. Place each bun on a square of baking paper and pop in bamboo steamer to rise for 30 mins.
- Fill a third of a wok or saucepan with water and heat on high.
- Place the bamboo steamer on top and steam buns for 12 mins.
- Then turn off the heat and let it sit for 4 mins before taking the lid off.
Assembling the Bao
- Take your bao bun, open it up and fill with shredded wombok, green onions and pickled radish.
- Place your tempura mushrooms on top, then add a drizzle of the reduced mushroom liquid and a dollop of miso mayo. Enjoy!