To Make Dipping Sauce
- In a saucepan, combine all Dipping Sauce ingredients and bring to boil.
- Lower heat to simmer until the sugar is dissolved. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or saucepan for deep frying.
- Sift the plain flour 1-2 times into a bowl.
- Add the egg into the ice-cold water and whisk vigorously until well incorporated. Scoop out the foam on the surface and discard.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour slowly, using chopsticks to mix gently. Allow some lumps in the batter and do not over mix.
- Sit the bowl in another bowl with ice bath to keep the batter cool.
- When the oil is hot, dip each crabstick into the batter and place in the oil. Deep fry in batches to avoid cooling the oil too much.
- When the tempura crabsticks turn golden brown, remove and drain well. Repeat until all crabsticks are done. Serve with dipping sauce.