To Prepare Filling
- Heat frying pan or wok with 3 tbsp oil and fry shallot till fragrant. Dish up and set aside.
- Put another 2 tbsp oil and fry the soaked dried shrimps till golden and fragrant.
- Push the dried shrimps to the side of the pan and toss in minced pork. Fry till minced pork is dry and add in the chopped shitake mushroom and toss in the radish. Continue to fry till fragrant.
- Add in all the seasonings and add in the cornstarch slurry. Fry the mixture till all the liquid is absorbed and toss in the fried shallots. Mix well.
- Dish up and let it cold down. Divide into 16 portions (40g) and roll into balls with the help of cling wrap and freeze for 2 hours or prepare the day before.
To Prepare Dough
- Put 300ml water in a sauce pan together with salt and sugar and let it boil.
- Place flours into a big mixing bowl and create a hole in the centre.
- Pour in oil and boiling water and mix flours with a spatula by bringing flour into the centre. Pour more of boiling water and stir till combine.
- Slowly pour in the room temperature water and bring the mixture into a dough. Knead till dough is smooth and divide into 16 portions (83g).
- Roll dough out with the sides thinner than the centre. Place a ball of the filling into the centre of the flatten dough and slowly bring the sides together and mould into a ball and shape it into an oval shape.
To Assemble and Cook
- Take one or two of bamboo leaf (depending on size) and fold into a cone. Oil the leaf with enough oil.
- Place filled dough ball into the cone and fold the top over with your thumb and the other fingers pressing the sides down. Fold along the corner and press together and fold down to seal.
- Use a twine or saltwater grass to make 2 round and tie the completed dumpling. Do not tie too tight as dough will expand during steaming.
- Heat wok or big stock pot with enough water with a trivet and steam wrapped dumplings for 30 mins. Open up at 15 mins mark to release some steam.