To Prep Sauce
- Heat a large non-stick wok with cooking oil over medium high heat. Add minced garlic for about 30 secs.
- Add soy sauce, rice syrup, vinegar, and mustard sauce (optional). Stir with a wooden spoon and let it bubble for a few minutes.
- Add the brown sugar and continue stirring. Remove from the heat. Set aside.
To Prep Chicken
- Cut off the tip of each wing and chop the wing in half.
- Mix salt, ginger and ground black pepper in a big bowl and put the chicken in and mix equally by hand.
- Put corn starch in another bowl and dip each wing to coat it, one by one. Squeeze each wing to press the coating to it tightly.
- Put 5 cups of cooking oil in a frying pan or pot and heat it up for 7-8 mins over high heat.
- Check the oil by dipping the tip of the wing in the oil, if the oil bubbles, can start frying. Slide the wings in the hot oil one by one and fry for about 13 mins, turn the wings over a few times with a long tong.
- Depends on your size of pan or pot, may need to do it in a few batches. You will need more cooking oil if you use a large pot.
- Remove wings from the oil and let them sit on a strainer. Turn off the heat; let the wings sit for a few minutes.
- Reheat the oil and fry the wings again for another 15 mins until they turned golden brown. Remove them from oil and place them on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Once chicken is done, reheat the coating sauce until it bubbles.
- Add the chicken one by one and coat the chicken with a thong.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the coated chicken on a plate. Sprinkle some sesame seeds over top and serve immediately.