- Stir fry the onions and dried shrimp in some oil in a pan on medium high heat until fragrant.
- Next, add the yam and fry until they start to color.
- Separately, combine the rice flour, wheat starch and water in a mixing bowl and mix until you get a smooth paste with no lumps. Sieve the flour and wheat starch before adding to the water to minimize any lumps.
- Slowly add the flour paste into the pan while stirring the contents of the pan continuously. Continue stirring until everything is well combined and you have a thick paste.
- Next add the Chinese five-spice powder, salt and pepper. Mix well and taste to make sure the paste is well seasoned.
- Pour the mixture into an appropriately sized and greased loaf pan or baking tin and steam for 45 minutes on high heat.
- When the yam cake is cooked, sprinkle liberally with the toppings and garnish to your liking and serve with a side of sambal chilli sauce for dipping.