- Place all sweet bean sauce ingredients in a saucepan and cook until all sugar is dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Mix shrimp paste with water and stir until a flowing consistency.
- In a mixing bowl, mix all rice roll ingredients together until you get a watery batter.
- Fill wok or steamer with water and bring water to a bubbling boil. Brush oil onto tray and steam the tray itself for 1 min.
- Scoop enough batter to cover the entire surface of the tray. Steam for 4 mins. Remove from steamer.
- Using a scrapper, scrape from one end and fold into a roll. Repeat process with remaining batter.
- Cut rice rolls into 2-3cm in length. Serve rolls with sweet bean sauce, shrimp paste sauce, toasted sesame and fried shallots.