To make the Topping:
- Heat up a ½ a cup of vegetable oil in a wok and fry the shallots until they begin to colour.
- Squeeze out any excess moisture from the preserved radish and add to the wok. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar, white pepper and soy sauce. Mix well and taste to make sure the topping is well seasoned.
- Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
To make the Rice Cake:
- Add all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl and stir well until combined.
- Make sure there are no lumps in the flour mixture by straining through a sieve.
- Cook the flour mixture in a pan over medium heat until it thickens. You can test if the mixture is thick enough by coating the back of a spoon and running your finger over. The mixture is thick enough if the line remains.
- When it is ready, remove the mixture from the heat and pour into greased moulds or bowls.
- Place the bowls into the steamer on medium heat for 20 minutes. Make sure the water is already boiling before placing the bowls into the steamer.
- Once cooked, allow the rice cakes to cool completely before removing from the bowls.
- Top with the radish topping and serve.