- In a bowl, combine all filling ingredients. Using a fork, whip the mixture in one direction for 2 mins until the mixture begins to appear sticky. Cover with a cling wrap and place inside the fridge while preparing the dough.
- In a mixing bowl, combine wheat starch and tapioca starch. Gradually add in boiling water while stirring vigorously. Then, pour in lard or oil and stir well to combine. Knead the dough for 2 mins until you get a smooth ball. Roll the dough into a long log and cut into 20 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a smooth ball. Place the dough balls into a tray and cover with damp cloth.
- Prepare a lightly oiled smooth surface. You can place a baking sheet over a cutting board and lightly oil the baking sheet. Working with one dough ball at a time, flatten it using a rolling pin until rather thin but still able to withhold the weight of the filling. Using a round cutter, about 8cm in diameter, cut out the dough. Place a spoonful of filling in the centre of the dumpling wrap and fold into half. Then, using your fingers, push the dough, forming pleats, until completely sealed from one end to the other. Place prawn dumpling into a large bamboo basket lined with parchment paper. Repeat with remaining dough balls and leftover dough, if any. Space the prawn dumplings slightly apart to allow for expansion during cooking process.
- Prepare a steamer over high heat. Steam prawn dumplings over boiling water for 6 mins. Steam in batches if you have a smaller bamboo basket.
- Remove and serve hot with soy sauce or chilli sauce.