To Prep the Dashi
- Wipe your kombu with a damp cloth to clean off any impurities, then make a few shallow cuts into the kombu.
- Add the water to a pot and add the kombu to and the pot. Allow it to soak for about 30 minutes before turning on the heat.
- Turn the heat on medium and let it boil slowly. Remove from heat just as the water begins to boil.
- Add the bonito flakes and return to the heat. Allow the water to simmer for another 1 minute. Be careful not the let it boil over.
- Remove the dashi from the heat and wait for the bonito flakes to sink to the bottom of the pot.
- Finally, strain the dashi and use for the rest of this recipe. If there is any leftover dashi it can be stored in the fridge for about 1 week.
To Prep Soup
- Heat up the sesame oil in a large pot and add your minced garlic and ginger. Sauté until fragrant.
- Add the chilli bean sauce and mix well.
- Next add the rest of the ingredients for the soup and allow it to simmer for several minutes over medium low heat.
- Season the soup with salt, and then strain the soup through a fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth into another pot.
- Once the soup is done, prepare the ramen noodles as per packet instructions.
- Place the noodles in a bowl and add your toppings before ladling over with the soup. Serve immediately.