- Heat sesame oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add ginger, garlic and spring onions, and fry off until caramelised and fragrant.
- Add in light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, water, five spice powder and brown sugar in a large pot and bring to the boil.
- Add in the chicken. If chicken is not submerged, add enough water to cover the chicken.
- Continue to cook on medium-high heat until liquid begins to simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 25 mins.
- Turn off the heat, cover the pot and allow chicken to poach for 15 mins or until cooked.
- Carefully remove from poaching liquid and test temperature to ensure it has reached 75°C.
- Rest for 5-10 mins before cutting. Serve with rice and vegetables.