- To make the prawn stock, heat up a large heavy bottom pot with oil and fry the prawn shells until they dry up.
- Next, pour in the water and let it come to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to low heat and simmer for 1 hour, covered. Once the stock is ready, remove the prawn shells.
- Next, blend together all the spice paste ingredients until you get a smooth wet paste. Heat up oil in a soup pot (once it starts to smoke) then sauté the spice paste on medium heat until you see the oil bubbling.
- Then, add in coconut milk, prawn stock, fish sauce, salt and gula Melaka. Let it come to a boil and add in tofu puffs. Let it simmer for 10 mins.
- In a separate pot, cook laksa noodles, fish cakes and and bean sprouts.
- To assemble, place a portion of noodles into bowl, scoop laksa broth over and garnish with hard boiled egg, tofu puff, sliced fishcakes, blanched bean sprouts, laksa leaves and sambal.
- For the sambal, prepare ahead by sautéing all the ingredients except tamarind paste. Once it is about to be ready add in tamarind paste and season with salt and sugar. Serve sambal on the side.