- To prepare the crab, remove the top shell, and then remove the lungs using your hand. Use a small brush to gently scrub the crab to remove the mud on the shell and claws. Set aside in a bowl. By the time the crab is ready to be cooked, the ‘juice’ will seep out into the bowl. This ‘juice’ will be used to make the sauce.
- In a wok or a shallow saucepan, heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Add garlic, ginger, and shallots and stir-fry for 1 min.
- Add the preserved soya beans and chilli, and stir-fry till fragrant.
- Add in spring onions, stir-fry for another minute
- Add in the crabs and its liquid, and give it a quick stir before placing a lid on the wok or pan.
- Leave crabs to steam and cook on medium high heat.
- Combine all ingredients for Sauce, mix well and set aside.
- Break the egg into a separate bowl, gently whisk to break the yolk and set aside.
- When the crab is cooked (the crab shell will turn to bright orange when it is cooked), remove lid and give the crabs a stir again before adding the sauce.
- As the sauce come to a boil, pour in the egg and stir to combine with the sauce and crabs.
- Remove from heat and serve in a platter. Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with steamed mantou.