For the rice
- Heat ghee or oil in a rice cooker or a pot.
- aute onions till golden. Add the garlic, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Continue to saute until fragrant.
- Add tomato puree, stir and then add carrots. Add pandan leaf and let it cook for a minute.
- Add the rice, stir fry for a minute.
- Add water and bring to boil. Add salt.
- Next, add the evaporated milk. Once it reaches a boil, cover the pot and immediately lower the heat to cook for another 10 mins. Check if the rice has softened, and liquid fully absorbed. Fluff up the rice with a fork, then place lid back on and remove from heat. Set aside until ready to serve.
For the chicken or mutton
- Rinse the chicken or mutton well and drain.
- Add the ingredients for marinade and rub well into the chicken. Allow to sit for ½ hour or so while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add the pieces of chicken to fry lightly on both sides. We do not want to cook the meat, just to get the outer flesh light golden – this helps to keep the meat moist while cooking.
- Set aside meat and strain the oil from the pan.
- Heat some of the strained oil again. Add onions, garlic and saute till softened.
- Add cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, pepper powder, turmeric powder ad pandan leaves. Saute till aromatic.
- Add meat and sir-fry for a few minutes.
- Add 1-1/2 cups water and cook, covered for 10-15 mins on low or medium heat.
- For mutton: Add enough water to cover the mutton and cook. Covered for 30-35 mins on low or medium heat.
- Add on top of rice and serve.
- Garnish with fried golden raisins, cashews and freshly chopped coriander.