- In a large pot add the rice and water. Simmer on stove top for 12 mins until cooked. Leave covered until serving, then fluff with a fork.
- While the rice is cooking, cut the fish into similar sized chunks. Lightly coat in cornflour and set aside.
- Finely slice the spring onions and long red chilli into strands.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a work on medium/high heat. Once hot, cook the fish in 2 batches (approximately 3 mins each batch), until crispy. Remove from work and set aside.
- Pour out half of the oil, then add the dried chillies, cook for 1 min and remove from the oil.
- Add garlic cloves and half of the Sichuan peppercorns, stir until fragrant.
- Return the fish to the wok, then add soy, Shaoxing wine, vinegar and chilli oil. Toss gently to combine.
- Remove from wok, then sprinkle on remaining Sichuan peppercorns and top with finely sliced spring onion and red chilli.
- Serve immediately with rice to enjoy the crispy coating.