- Wash and dry fish steaks thoroughly.
- Slice the steaks in half, slicing just to the side of the spine bone.
- Mix salt, five-spice powder and white pepper, then sprinkle all over the fish steaks. Let it marinate for 10 mins.
To Make Sauce
- Add all ingredients for the sauce into a small pot and stir over low heat for 5 mins to get all the flavour.
- Pour into a bowl big enough to fit all the fish and let it cool to room temperature.
- Heat about 2 cups of oil to about 180°C in a small pot. To test if the oil is ready, dip a bamboo chopstick tip into the oil. If it bubbles vigorously around the chopstick, then the oil is ready.
- Slide the fish into the hot oil, a couple of pieces at a time, and fry until golden brown.
- Remove and place on kitchen paper-covered plates to soak up excess oil. Repeat for all pieces of fish.
- When the fish has cooled, add them to the sauce ensuring the pieces are fully submerged. Let it sit at room temperature for 2 hours or cover and leave it in the fridge overnight.
- To serve, place the fish onto a serving plate and drizzle with the sauce.