To Prepare Overnight
- Soak the glutinous rice in cold water for about 8-10 hrs.
- Drain the water from the glutinous rice. Put baking paper or a similar substitute on a steamer and spread the glutinous rice over it. Steam for about 15-20 mins until it has fully cooked.
- Remove the glutinous rice and cover with a wet cloth making it doesn’t get dry while it is cooling.
- Heat up a wok or pan and add cooking oil. Once the pan is hot enough, add the pork until it has browned. Add soy sauce and stir. Add cooking wine and sugar. Cook for a few mins. Add enough water so that the meat is just covered. Add ginger. Add seasonings to taste.
- Add the rice and sauce until the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and mix in scallions. Let it cool down by spreading it out.
- Wrap the shaomai.
- Once you’ve wrapped the desired amount of shaomais, steam it for 10 mins before removing to cool down.