- Wash and then dry fish steaks thoroughly with kitchen paper.
- Chop the steaks in half, chopping just to the side of the spine bone.
- Mix salt, five spice powder and white pepper, then sprinkle all over the fish steaks. Let marinate for 10 mins.
For the sauce
- Add all ingredients for the sauce into a small pot and stir over low heat until the rock sugar is melted.
- Pour into a bowl big enough to fit all the fish and let cool to room temperature.
- Heat up 2 cups of oil in a small pot.
- Slide the fish into the hot oil, a couple of pieces at a time, and fry until the fish is a golden brown.
- Remove to kitchen paper covered plates to let excess oil drain off. Repeat for all pieces of fish.
- When the fish has cooled, add them to the sauce, making sure the pieces are submerged into the sauce and let sit at room temperature for 2 hours before serving or cover and let it marinate overnight in the fridge.
- Place the fish on to a serving plate and drizzle with the sauce.