To Make the Clarified Butter
- To make clarified butter for searing the scallops, add the butter in to a pan and melt over a low heat without stirring.
- Once the butter begins to foam, start trying to skim it off and discard it.
- Once there is no longer any foam, strain the butter through a fine sieve to avoid getting the milky layer within the butter.
- Clean the scallops and remove the roe if desired. Place on paper towels to remove the excess moisture and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the sake, mirin, soy and sugar in a saucepan and boil over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- When the sugar has dissolved, reduce the heat to low and let simmer until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the clarified butter to a pan and heat over a high heat until the pan starts to smoke.
- Add the scallops in to the pan, leaving spaces between them.
- Cook the scallops for roughly 3 mins without moving or until they have a nice golden sear and releases from the pan on their own. Flip the scallops and repeat.
- Once the scallops have been seared on both sides, remove from the pan and place on to a paper towel to remove the excess butter.
- Serve combined with the teriyaki glaze and with freshly chopped chives.