- Combine the 1 tablespoon of salt, white peppercorns, Sichuan peppercorns and five spice powder and mix together.
- Place the chicken on to a large sheet of baking paper and then apply the dry rubs all over and inside of the chicken. Cover and seal the chicken in the baking paper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks before adding in the salt and mixing well.
- Roll out a large sheet of aluminum foil and place a quarter of the salt mixture on to the base a spread it out so that the chicken can rest on it.
- Place the chicken on to the salt bed and cover with the remaining salt. Wrap with more aluminum foil and seal.
- Prepare a barbecue by heating it up to about 225 degrees Celsius and then place the chicken in to it. Cook while covered for approximately an hour.
- When the chicken has finished cooking, remove from the grill and let rest for about 10 minutes. Remove the foil and break the salt crust to extract the chicken.
- Serve hot!