- Dry-fry the peppercorns and salt in a pan over medium heat until they become fragrant.
- Remove them from the pan and grind them using a pestle and mortar until they become fine.
- Combine the salt and pepper mixture in to the tapioca starch.
- Dredge the soft shell crab halves with the egg whites before dredging them with the tapioca mixture.
- Heat a saucepan with enough oil to deep-fry. Add the soft shell crab in batches and cook until golden brown.
- Remove the crab from the oil and drain off the excess oil by placing it on a paper towel before serving. Garnish with chilli and spring onions.