- Make the potato starch flurry by combining the potato starch and water together and mixing. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the pork and the water together and mix. Add in the ginger, water chestnuts, scallion, rice wine, sesame oil and salt. Stir well to combine and then divide in to 5 large meat balls.
- To help sear the meatballs, dust them lightly with cornstarch.
- In a wok or frying pan, heat up the oil over a high heat. When the wok begins to lightly smoke, add in the meatballs and fry until the meatballs have evenly browned.
- When the meatballs have browned, remove them from the wok and set them aside. Don’t worry about if the meatballs are still uncooked as they will be braised.
- In a steamer, steam the wombok leaves until the leaves are soft and wilted. Remove them from the steamer and set them aside.
- In a claypot, place some of the wombok leaves on to the bottom to form a base. Add in the meatballs and pour in the stock, soy sauce and sugar. Cover the meatballs with the remaining wombok leaves and cover with the lid.
- Set the claypot on to a stove and bring to a boil over a high heat before reducing to a simmer and letting braise for 60-90 mins.
- When the dish has finished braising, transfer the meatballs on to a serving plate and garnish with the wombok leaves.
- Retain the braising liquid and add in the slurry to thicken the broth. Spoon the thickened broth on to the serving plate and garnish with spring onions.