- Peel and devein the prawns, setting aside the heads and shells for the stock.
- In a pot, bring chicken stock up to boil and turn heat to low simmer.
- Add prawn heads and shells and let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- In the meantime, boil the two noodles and set aside.
- Quickly blanch the sliced fish cakes and mung bean sprouts in boiling water for 10 seconds.
- Boil the eggs for 7 minutes and immediately run under cool water to arrest the cooking. Peel and slice in half, set aside.
- Remove the prawn shells and heads from the stock and add in the littleneck clams if using. Simmer for 2 minutes until clam shells have opened up. Strain out and set aside.
- In a separate pot on medium heat, fry the Valcom laksa paste until fragrant.
- Add the chicken-prawn-clam stock to the fried laksa paste.
- Add the coconut milk and simmer for an additional minute.
- Add the halved tofu puffs and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Season the soup with fish sauce – you may need more or less depending on saltiness of your chicken stock.
- Assemble the bowl! Place a small handful of both kinds of noodles in the bottom of a wide serving bowl. Arrange the prawns, clams, half-boiled eggs, fish cakes and mung bean sprouts on top of the noodles.
- Ladle in the hot broth, including a few of the tofu puffs.
- Garnish with the shredded mint and coriander and fried shallots if using.