To Make the Pineapple Jam
- Grate the fresh pineapple to form a thick and coarse pulp.
- To a large pot, add the pineapple pulp, cinnamon sticks and 2 tbsp of sugar. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium. Stir occasionally.
- When the jam’s liquids have reduced, remove the cinnamon, then add remaining sugar, lemon juice and stir continuously until it dries up further and there is no excess liquid.
- Spread out the jam over a baking dish and allow to cool completely.
- Roll into a small balls weighing about 5g each. Set aside.
To Make the Pastry
- In a large mixing bowl, sift in the plain flour, cornflour and icing sugar, and combine well using a whisk.
- Cut in butter and rub with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well, then add the egg yolk and vanilla extract, and enough water to create a soft dough. Add a little extra flour if dough is too soft. Mix until just combined.
- Form the dough into a disc, then cover the dough in cling wrap and place in the fridge for 20-30 mins to rest.
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Prepare a baking tray by lining with baking paper.
- Remove dough from fridge. Roll pastry between two sheets or cling wrap/baking paper to about 5mm thickness, cut into shape with a pineapple tart mould.
- Fill the centre of each tart with a ball of pineapple jam.
- Place onto the prepare baking tray and bake for 20-25 mins, or until pastry is lightly golden in colour.
- Cool tarts on a wire rack, then serve.