To Prep the Filling
- Cut fresh pineapples into small cubes and process in a food processor briefly before mixing in sugar, salt and cinnamon.
- Transfer into a pan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for about 30 mins or until pineapple jam is stick and can easily be rolled into a ball. Set aside to cool. Always keep an eye on the pineapple jam as it burns easily especially when it thickens and caramelises.
- When jam is cool to touch, use 2 teaspoons to divide into portions of 6g each and roll into oblong-shaped balls. Set aside.
Note: Making the jam does require some amount of patience. As it can be refrigerated for several months, you can make the pineapple jam ahead of time and make a couple of batches of cookies. Alternatively, you can check your nearest Asian grocer for pre-made pineapple jam.
To Prep the Dough
- Combine butter and icing sugar, beat over medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Then, add in egg and whisk until well blended for about 1-2 min on medium speed before mixing in all dry ingredients.
- When dough is formed, cover and keep refrigerated for 1 hr.
- Place small piece of dough into a mould, press into strips with pattern side down, about 5-6cm long each. Place pineapple filling in on end of the dough and roll to enclose.
- Brush with egg wash and bake in a preheated oven for 20 min at 180℃ or until golden brown.