To Make Peking Duck
- Dry duck breasts with paper towel then rub with salt, light soy sauce, Shao Xing wine and five-spice powder.
- Next, lay duck breasts flat on a tray skin side up and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- On the day of cooking, take the marinated duck breasts out of the fridge and leave them on the counter to come down to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, heat up the oven to 150°C. Once at room temperature, brush some oil over the skin.
- Heat up a frying pan with a little oil and fry duck breasts skin side down until the skin nicely browns. Remove from the pan and place them on a lined tray. Set your preheated oven to grill/broiler and grill for around 15 mins until the skin turns crispy.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to rest for 15 mins before slicing.
To Make Pancakes (can be prepared the day before)
- Place flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Slowly pour boiling water over and stir with a pair of chopsticks.
- Once the flour cools a little, using your fingers bring the flour together and knead into a dough. Cover and leave to rest for 30 mins.
- Once rested, knead the dough until smooth and divide into 16 (36g) or 20 (29g) portions. Roll each portion into a ball. Try to be consistent so that the sizes of the pancakes are maintained.
- Take 2 balls, flatten one and brush some oil over the surface. Flatten the second ball and place on top the first flatten ball.
- Using a rolling pin, slowly roll out the dough to be as thin as possible. You can stack the flattened dough by brushing some oil in between.
- Heat up a frying pan and dry fry the pancake. Once it starts to bubble, turn over to the other side.
- Once cooked, peel the 2 pieces of flat pancakes apart as soon as possible or it will be difficult once they are cooled.
- Steam pancakes in a bamboo basket prior to serving.
To Make Sauce
- Take 1 tsp of duck fat and heat it up in a saucepan. Add in hoisin sauce and water and stir until all are well combined.
- Spread some hoisin sauce over one pancake. Place some shredded spring onions and cucumber sticks on top of the sauce, then place a slice of duck on top before wrapping up.