To Prepare Peanut Filling
- Mix peanuts, caster sugar and oil in a bowl until well combined. Set aside.
To Make Mochi
- On a baking tray, sprinkle potato starch liberally. Set aside.
- Into a medium-sized bowl, mix flour, water and sugar until well combined.
- Cover the bowl with cling wrap. Ensure that it is taut over the top of the bowl, but leaving a small gap on the side to allow the steam to escape.
- Microwave for 2 mins.
- Carefully fold over the cling wrap and, with a wooden or silicone spatula, quickly stir the dough.
- Fold back cling wrap to cover the bowl again with a small gap as before.
- Microwave for 1 more min before removing and mixing again.
- Tip hot dough onto the tray with potato starch. Gently roll the dough over so that the entire surface is completely dusted with starch.
- Using a dough cutter, cut dough into 6 equal portions.
- Ensuring your hands are well powdered with the starch, flatten 1 piece of dough to approximately 4cm across. Place dough on one palm and using a pastry brush, brush off access starch on the top surface. Place 1 tsp peanut filling on the dough. Pinch opposite sides of the dough to seal in the filling until the dough has completely sealed in the filling.
- Place Loh Mai Chee on the starched tray.
- Repeat to make up the other dough and filling.
- Once completed, brush off access starch on the surface and place Loh Mai Chee on a serving dish.