To Make the Curd
- Strain passionfruit pulp for the juice, reserve 2 tbsp seeds for garnish.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until smooth. Mix in passionfruit juice.
- Cook the mixture on a double boiler over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture has thickened.
- Remove from the heat, then mix in the butter.
- Place a piece cling wrap over the surface of the curd, allow to cool then place in the fridge.
To Prep Passionfruit Crepes
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the sugar, eggs, oil, melted butter, passionfruit essence and milk until well combined.
- Sift over the cake flour and salt, then whisk through, being careful not to overmix.
- Run the mixture through a sieve once to ensure there are no lumps. Set aside to rest for 30 mins.
To Cook Passionfruit Crepes
- Lightly grease a non stick pan with oil. Wipe off any excess oil to ensure pan is not greasy.
- Heat pan at medium heat for 2 mins.
- Once the pan is hot, lower heat, then add about 3 tbsp of batter, swirling the skillet as you add the batter to evenly coat the surface of the pan.
- Cook for about 30 secs per side or until lightly golden, then flip and cook another 30 secs or until the second side is golden.
- Gently remove crepe to a flat wide plate and allow to cool to room temperature before stacking.
- Repeat with remaining Passionfruit Crepe mixture.
Cream Filling Method
- Combine heavy cream, icing sugar and vanilla bean paste in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk to stiff peaks, being careful not to overbeat.
Assemble of crepe cake
- Place one layer of crepe to a cake board, then spread 2 tbsp of cream filling evenly across the crepe.
- Repeat with remaining crepes and cream filling, spreading 1 tbsp passionfruit curd on every fifth layer.
- Spread a layer of passionfruit curd on the top of the cake, and place reserved passionfruit seeds on top. Chill in the fridge for 1 hr.
- Before serving, top with fresh diced mangoes, slice and enjoy.