- Prepare the chicken first by rinsing in water and then cutting each thigh into 4 pieces.
- Place your ginger, shallots and garlic into a food processor and mince. Mix the rest of the marinade ingredients with the minced herbs. Mix with the chicken and leave to marinate for at least 1 hour. Marinate overnight for a stronger flavour.
- After marinating, add the sesame oil, vegetable oil and, tapioca flour to the chicken. Mix well and set aside as you prepare the parchment paper.
- Fold each piece of parchment paper into a simple “pocket”. Fold the parchment paper lengthwise into 3 equal sections, with the left section under the right section. Then fold the bottom toward the middle of the parchment paper.
- Open the top of the parchment paper and place a piece of chicken inside – take note not to add any additional marinade into the pocket. Then fold the top left and right corners towards the centre, forming a triangle.
- Repeat until all the pieces of chicken are in their individual parcels.
- Deep fry each parcel of chicken in oil over medium high heat until medium brown on both sides. This should take about 30 seconds for each side. Remove the parcels from the oil and allow to cool.
- Reheat the oil and deep fry the chicken again, this time only for a few seconds until they become a rich, dark brown colour. Drain off the oil from the parcels and serve.