To Make Kaya Filling
- In a large heat-proof mixing bowl add eggs and sugar, and stir with a balloon whisk till well combined.
- Prepare a pot of boiling water and place mixing bowl on the pot to double boil. Continue to whisk.
- Toss pandan leaf tied into a bundle into the egg mixture, stir under medium heat till sugar dissolved.
- Add in coconut cream and keep stirring to avoid overcooking on the sides of the bowl.
- When the mixture starts to curdle, add in cornflour slurry and mix well.
- In a separate saucepan, heat up sugar till it caramelises.
- Pour in caramelised sugar into the mixture and mix till all well combined.
- When the mixture turned into a thick paste, remove from heat and set aside to cool. Discard pandan leaf.
To Make Pandan Juice
- Cut pandan leaf into small sections.
- Blend leaf with water and filter using a fine sieve. Squeeze as much of the juice out.
To Make the Dough (Using a Breadmaker)
- Add all ingredients except salt into bread machine bowl.
- Set bread machine to dough mode.
- Once dough is formed, add in salt and let it continue to work in the bread machine.
To Make the Dough (Without Breadmaker)
- Mix all ingredients except salt into a big bowl and knead for about 10 mins, add in salt and knead till dough is smooth.
To Shape the Pandan Baos
- Once dough is ready, remove from bread bowl and pinch 30g of dough for the crosses and divide the balanced dough into 15 equal portions.
- Roll dough into balls and cover with a damp towel as you work.
- With a rolling pin, roll each dough ball into 1cm thick but thinner on the edge before filling with a big tablespoon of kaya paste.
- Holding the flatten dough on your palm with kaya in the centre of the flatten dough, start to pleat the edges of the dough together to seal.
- Place completed bao onto cut out baking paper.
- Divide the 30g of dough into 30 portions to roll out into strips for the crosses.
- Let bao proof for 20 mins or until double the original size.
- Arrange completed bao into a bamboo steamer. Leave enough room around each bao as it will expand when steaming.
- Steam bao on medium heat for 15 mins.