To Make the XO Sauce
- Drain the shrimp and discard the water. Chop finely.
- Drain the scallop, keep the water for later. Using a fork or your fingers, break the scallops into thin strips.
- Heat the oil until it is hot, turn down the heat to medium then add the scallops and fry until lightly brown. Stir constantly to prevent burning.
- Add the chopped shrimp into the wok and fry for about 3-5 mins.
- Add bacon and fry for another 3 mins.
- Using a slotted spoon or strainer, take the mixture out of the oil and transfer it to a separate fry pan.
- Cook this meat mixture over medium heat and season with oyster sauce, soy sauce, cooking wine, pepper and sugar. Add the water from the scallop and cook until the liquid disappears.
- Use the oil in the wok to fry the chillies for 3-5 mins and then add the shallots. Keep stirring to prevent burning.
- Add the garlic and fry until they are golden brown.
- Return the scallop/shrimp/bacon into the wok. Turn off the heat immediately and stir and mix well.
To Cook the Crab
- Put the mud crab in the fridge or freezer for 20-30 mins to immobilise it. This will put it to sleep.
- Separate the crab body from the shell, remove the dead man’s fingers and cut the body in quarter. Crack the claws and legs using a rolling pin or meat tenderiser. Toss them in corn flour until lightly covered. Shake off excess flour.
- In a deep wok, heat the oil and fry the crab lightly until it changes colour. There is no need to fully cook the crab at this stage as we will cook it further later. Set aside.
- Tip off the oil and leave about 2 tbsp in the wok. Toss the garlic, ginger, and chilli and fry until fragrant. Add the XO sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce and the stock, letting it simmer for 1 min.
- Add the vermicelli and let it soak the liquid until the vermicelli becomes soft. If it needs more liquid, just add more stock and adjust the flavour.
- Just before the liquid is fully absorbed by the vermicelli, add the crab and mix well. Put the lid on the wok and turn down the heat to low-medium. Let it cook for about 10 mins.
- Sprinkle the coriander and fried shallot, mix well.
- Transfer it into a big deep dish, garnish with extra coriander and spring onion.
- TIP: Put the leftover XO sauce in an airtight jar and store it in the fridge