- Using a damp kitchen towel, wipe the kombu. Cut in half and soak in water for 2 hrs.
- To make dashi/soup, pour the soaking water and kombu into a pot and cook on medium heat till bubbles start to appear on the wall of pot. Remove kombu. Do not let it boil.
- Toss in the dried shiitake mushrooms, cover pot and let boil for 15 mins.
- Add in the sliced carrots, fresh shiitake mushrooms and kamaboko, cook for 5 mins. Remove everything and set aside. Boil the wakame until they expand, remove and set aside.
- Season the dashi with shoyu, sake, sugar and salt.
- In another pot, boil water and cook udon according to package instructions. Divide into 2 bowls.
- Scoop dashi over udon and arrange carrot, kamaboko, shiitake mushrooms, wakame and spring onions on top.
- Crack egg and place on top of udon. Serve immediately.