- In a large pot, rinse and drain rice until water runs clear. Then top with 10 cups of water and add ginger to the pot. Cover pot with lid and bring water to boil. When it starts to boil, reduce heat and tilt the lid to allow a small opening to avoid contents from boiling over. Reduce heat and let it simmer for about 20 mins.
To Prep Salted Eggs
- If salted egg is coated in salted charcoal, thoroughly remove and clean the black substance. In a saucepan, boil the salted egg for 15 mins. Dish out the eggs and cut in half lengthwise, Using a tablespoon, scoop the eggs out of their shells. Then cut the eggs into small cubes and set aside.
To Prep Century Eggs
- If century eggs coated in a caustic mixture of mud and rice husk, clean thoroughly before cracking it open, then cut the eggs into small cubes and set aside.
In a separate bowl, combine minced pork, soy sauce, ¼ tsp ground pepper, and mix well. Using two spoons, scoop and drop bits of minced pork into the congee. Keep stirring so that the minced pork will not clump together.
- Add prepared salted eggs, century eggs, salt, and remaining ½ tsp ground pepper into the pot and continue to simmer for another 10 mins. If porridge gets too thick, add approximately ½ cup of water. Stir to mix. Continue cooking on medium low to low heat, until the rice has the thick, creamy texture of porridge. Then remove from heat.
To Prep Garlic Oil
- Combine vegetable oil, sesame oil, and minced garlic in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1½ minutes. Set aside.