- In a small glass bowl, steep all the dry shiitake via packet instructions.
- Add some cold water into a bowl. Make thin strips of the white part of spring onion and cut length ways. Then, add the spring onions into the bowl.
- Drain mushrooms, reserving 1 cup shiitake flavoured water.
- Chop half of the shiitake up roughly and add to a large bowl. Finely chop the rest.
- Press dry with paper towels and toss in cornflour.
- Shallow fry in some oil for a few mins until crunchy.
- Using a food processor and thin slicing tool, shred the rest of the vegetables.
- Whisk eggs, soy and shiitake water in a large bowl.
- Add plain flour slowly while whisking. The batter will need to be of a thickened cream consistency.
- Fold the vegetables into the egg mix.
- Add oil and butter into the frying pan.
- Add in roughly half the vegetable batter mixture to coat the bottom.
- Press down the vegetables on top to make the perfect circle. Add lid and cook for 5 mins on a low-medium heat. Take lid off.
- Put a plate over saucepan and flip pancake onto plate.
- Once flipped, put saucepan back on stove and add another dob of butter and oil.
- Gently slide pancake into saucepan and cook with lid on for another 5 mins. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add tomato ketchup, soy, Worcestershire, honey to make Okonomiyaki sauce. Mix well.
- Drizzle the Okonomiyaki sauce over pancake. Add Japanese mayonnaise, shredded pickled ginger, crunchy shiitake mushrooms and strips of spring onion on top of the pancake.