To Make Red Bean Filling
- In a pot of boiling water enough to cover red beans and boil for 5 mins.
- Drain and return rinsed red beans back into pot, cover with enough water and boil for 1 hour till they are soft and mushy.
- Drain red beans again and return to pot on medium heat. Add in sugar and cook beans till they form into a paste. Set aside to cool.
To Make the Dough (Using a Breadmaker)
- Add all ingredients with dry yeast as the last item into the breadmaker machine bowl.
- Set bread machine to dough mode.
To Make the Dough (Without Breadmaker)
- Simply add all ingredients into a big mixing bowl and mix till all ingredients are well combined.
- Remove onto floured surface and knead for 15 to 20 mins till dough is smooth and non sticky. Cover the dough with a cloth and let it proof for 40 mins to an hour.
To Shape the Matcha Baos
- Once dough is ready, remove from bread bowl and roll out into a round disc on a floured surface.
- Cut dough into 8 equal pieces or weigh with a scale for accurate measurement and form them into balls. Cover with a damp towel as you work.
- With a rolling pin, roll each dough ball into 1cm thickness but thinner on the edge before filling with a big tablespoon of red bean paste.
- Holding the flatten dough with the red bean paste with your palm, start to pleat the edges of the dough together to seal.
- Place completed bao onto cut out baking paper.
- With some excess dough, pinch a small amount of dough and roll it into a long strip. Arrange a ‘+’ strip onto bao.
- Arrange completed bao into a bamboo steamer. Leave enough room around each bao as it will expand when steaming.
- Steam bao on high heat for 18-20 mins.