- On a baking tray, sprinkle potato starch liberally. Set aside.
- Measure 2 tsp of red bean paste and gently roll into a ball. You will need 6 balls in total. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized, microwaveable bowl, mix glutinous rice flour, water and sugar until well combined.
- Cover the bowl with cling wrap, leaving a small gap on the side to allow steam to escape. Microwave for 2 mins.
- Carefully fold over cling wrap and with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula, quickly stir the dough to loosen. Cover the bowl again and microwave for 1 min.
- Remove cling wrap, pour in the matcha paste and quickly stir into the dough until distributed evenly.
- Tip hot dough onto the tray with potato starch. Gently roll the mochi dough over to cover entire surface with starch. Cut dough into 6 equal portions.
- Cover hands liberally with starch, then flatten 1 piece of mochi dough to approximately 4 cm across. Place dough on one palm and brush off excess starch on the top surface. Place ball of red bean paste on the dough. Pinch opposite sides of the dough to seal in the red bean. Roll in between your palms to form a ball and place mochi on the starched tray.
- Repeat with remaining dough and red bean paste.
- Once completed, brush off access starch on the surface and place mochi on a serving dish. Serve with a cup of Japanese tea.