- In a blender, process onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric and lemongrass.
- Marinate beef with rendang curry paste
- In a heavy saucepan, heat the oil and add the blended ingredients to stir-fry until fragrant.
- Add the marinated beef and paste and just enough water to cover the beef.
- Bring it to a boil and reduce the heat to simmer the curry until beef is tender and water is significantly reduced. Stir often to ensure it doesn’t stick and burn. This should take 1.5 hrs.
- Once beef is tender, season with salt and sugar, and add tamarind puree and coconut cream.
- Remove pot from heat. Serve rendang with steamed rice and sambals.
- If using a blender to grind the paste, adding some oil can help these ingredients to blend easily. Do not add water, this will affect the quality and taste of the rendang.
- If we are feeling lazy, use a slow cooker. After stir-frying the paste until it is fragrant, add all remaining ingredients including coconut. However, use TCC coconut milk instead of cream, as it has a lower fat content and more forgiving when cooking over a long period.